Country: South Sudan
Essential Job Duties/Scope of Work:
International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care, training and relief and development programs.
Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to national populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
International Medical Corps is currently implementing approximately 15 programs across seven sites in South Sudan – focused on primary health care, secondary health care, emergency medicine, maternal/child health, HIV/AIDS, WASH, nutrition and health systems strengthening.
The Country Security Manager (CSM) works at the direction of the Country Director, and reports on technical issues to the director of Global Security and the IMC Security Specialist. The primary function of the Country Security Manager is provide assistance to the Country Director on all issues of safety and security as they relate to staff and programs in the country in which they work. The Country Security Manager oversees daily security management in their country program and manages National Security Officers as well as trains and mentors Security Focal Points. The Country Security Manager will monitor and assess security conditions, and makes recommendations to the Country Director as appropriate. The Country Director is the direct supervisor to the CSM, but the Director of Global Security (DGS) is the technical manager for the CSM.
*See more vacancies on Google+.*
1. Security Management
• Develop and update the security guidelines, SOP’s and Contingency Plans for their country program
• Supervise and train national counterpart and security officers in their country program
• Coordinate and monitor security activities to ensure that safety and security policies and procedures are implemented
• Ensure that all field staff are fully cognizant of prevailing security threats and fully advised on means to reduce staff vulnerability to those threats
• Design and drill warden systems, emergency radio networks, and provisioning of emergency supplies for field personnel
• Ensure internal incident tracking system is utilized properly and perform incident mapping and analysis
• Collects security related information from local and regional resources as it applies to IMC sites and communicates with the Director of Global Security (DGS) and Country Director (CD) as appropriate
• Monitors the security preparedness of country staff and works with CD to enforce staff compliance with internal security policies and SOPs
• When directed by the DGS/CD, carry out investigations and capture lessons learned to be incorporated into future staff trainings
• Act as a key member of the Field Incident Team when required during a crisis so that safety policies and procedures are implemented
• Ensures logistics follows a servicing and maintenance schedule for vehicles
• Audits communications equipment and facilitates communications-related assistance when necessary
• Recommends changes in country security plans to CD and DGS as needed
• Ensure induction security briefings are conducted to all arriving staff, visitors or volunteers
• Ensure weekly security reports are completed and sent to headquarters, providing timely updates of all situational and security developments including investigation of security incidents
• Conducts and submits Security Risk Assessments of programs, as required.
• Conducts and submits full Site Security Surveys of every site visited.
• Conducts and submits Trip Reports of all field deployments.
• The above should be completed using the Security Department approved templates, and be submitted to the Country Director, Director of Global Security and the Security Specialist.
• Keep excellent records and logs to ensure continuity of this position
3. Human Resources
• Oversee the recruitment and selection of qualified national security field staff, recommend promotions, disciplinary action and termination of staff in consultation with the Country Director
• Make frequent site visits to facilities to carry out security assessments and ensure appropriate care and training are being conducted
• Maintain open lines of communications with all field staff
4. Training/ Capacity Building
• Determine training needs for the security staff
• Train senior national staff to increase their responsibilities in order to build capacity and ensure sustainability
• Works with DGS and CD to conduct any staff security training that is warranted.
5. Working Relationships
• Maintain excellent working relationships as a member of the country team senior management.
• Build strong professional relationships with UN agencies, local authorities and other NGO’s
• Attends security coordination meetings and updates CD on current security issues
• Contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the organizations Code of Conduct, ethics, values and stand-point with regard to internal and external actors
• Three to four years of work experience in Security Management
• Must have experience in unstable and resource deprived environments; Africa and/or conflict experience a plus;
• Strong understanding of cultural, political and religious environment in the region, and be able to live and work successfully in those environments
• Experience in conducting operations safely and efficiently in areas of natural and man made disasters
• Practical experience and knowledge of Risk, Threat and Vulnerability assessments, conflict mitigation and advanced first aid
• Strong negotiation, interpersonal an organization skills